Dec 23, 2007 6:21pm
dld counters, stability - word from tracey pooh
we'll get the download counts fixed up have no fears.
there's been some issues to delay reliability, SE stability, and download counts:
1) we've been switching to a "should be faster" http backend server on some of our machines. that's making updating download counts a bit trickier until we finish (soon!) the parsing code.
2) we had a lot of server upgrades we had to do unscheduled, right around thanksgiving.
3) we are upgrading our "fleet" of servers to a new OS. that has caused some stability issues as we've had to sort out some issues only seen under heavy load.
4) we've *massively* upp-ed our bandwidth. so suddenly some servers are serving out "hot" items so fast they are swamping servers temporarily until we can get to it. this plus the faster http server in 40 of our most recent nodes mean some items are ruining the fun for the rest for periods of time.
5) holidays -- we are shortstaffed. it's a holiday weekend and i'm writing this from boston! (nuff said ;-)
so bear with us the best you can.
i honestly think we'll be in good shape mid jan, early feb at the latest. we should be serving faster than we ever have. we have figured out most of the stability issues and done most critical upgrades, so we can start rolling out the data server upgrades soon once we are all back in SF...
happy holidays, please copy to other threads as you like!